Thursday, July 23, 2009

Corn in the backyard 2009, week 9

July 19

Last week I said we'd be watching for tassels and a few days later, there they were! Tassels are only part of the process of growing corn, another important part is...

...ears! As you can see those are starting to pop out too. Even so, farmers don't make a living selling tassels, or stalks, or even ears, but the kernels that grow on the ears. We'll keep our eyes open for evidence that kernels are developing, because that's the whole reason for growing these plants.

Finally, for the record, the corn continues to grow taller, measuring 103 inches at the highest point this week. Thanks for visiting!

3 comments:

  1. So my big question is: is this cow corn or eating corn? Because if it's eating corn I think I'd work out a deal with the farmer... maybe you could have access to the first coupla rows or something as payment for documenting the weekly growth of his crop;)

    I'm thinking how sweet those super fresh ears would be dripping with butter... add a little salt and pepper...yummm, I'm making myself hungry:-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. >>>So my big question is: is this cow corn or eating corn?

    * * *

    I'm thinking how sweet those super fresh ears would be dripping with butter... add a little salt and pepper...yummm, I'm making myself hungry:-P<<<

    Somewhere, a cow is also hungrily licking its lips and thinking about just how good this corn will be...minus the butter, probably. I'm sure that cows are totally into the salt-n-pepper, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely not sweet corn, so no one is going to be eating it off the cob, unless like Jeremy says, some cow is lucky enough to find one of these ears after harvesting is done.

    This corn will go to the local elevator to eventually be sold into the huge market of corn products. It may end up in on your table in the form of corn syrup, corn oil, corn chips, or corn meal, or it may be used to produce an inedible product like plastic, paper, carpet, or paint. It may even end up in the gas tank of your automobile, but alas, it will not sit temptingly on anyone's plate dripping with butter, salt, and pepper.

    ReplyDelete