Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Now I REALLY feel old

Even though I don't remember much about the first few years of my life, I have no trouble identifying with the decade of my birth.  The preceding decades, however, have always seemed like ancient history.  As a young man, I remember being startled by the realization that more years had passed since my birth than had passed between the end of World War II and the day I was born.  In my mind, WWII happened a long time before I was born.  In reality, it wasn't very long.

My great grandparents, Samuel and Sophie Riggenbach
The other day I performed a little more mental math and startled myself once again.  I don't consider myself an old man (yet), but I'm older now than all of my aunts and uncles were when I was born.  Since my dad is the youngest of ten siblings, I had a lot of older aunts and uncles.  I'm now more further removed from my birth than my birth is removed from the FIRST World War!  I think it's impossible to marry that thought with any illusion of being young.

3 comments:

  1. Well hope you had a nice birthday despite your advancing years. :)

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the birthday wish Victoria, but my birthday is still 6 months away. I guess I don't need birthdays to remind me that I'm not young anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah but think how old the pyramids in Egypt are!

    -Mrs B.

    ReplyDelete