Thursday, June 30, 2011

Corn in the backyard 2011, week 6

 
June 26

Height = 51 inches
Last week's growing degree days = 142
Historical average growing degree days = 159

Growing degree days since planting = 892
Historical average since planting = 811

Even though the first three days of the week were warmer than average, the remainder of the week was cool enough that we recorded a growing degree day deficit to the historical average.  While the plants grew more than they did the week before, total growth for the year is only three inches ahead of 2009.

I thought you might enjoy a look at a corn stalk from the top while we're still able to access that view easily, and before the tassel makes its appearance.  I think the funnel-like shape of the plant is interesting, and I wonder how much rain is absorbed by the plant through the stalk.  Anyone care to educate me?

Thanks for visiting!

2 comments:

  1. Is it weird that I'm rooting for the corn from '09 to catch up? ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeremy -- I don't think it's weird, but it does reveal to us that you prefer to root for the underdog...

    ReplyDelete