Friday, May 8, 2009

Last report from Colonial Williamsburg, Day 8

On our last full day in town we were pleased to get back into the colonial spirit and try to squeeze a bit more out of our vacation. With the weather forecasted to be hot and sunny, we planned our day strategically around shade and air conditioning.

We started our colonial day listening to the Marquis de Lafayette describing how he planned to attack the British at Yorktown (the year is 1781), which he hoped would lead to the end of the war. An inspiring oration, but a little heavy on the idea that freedom results from human reason.

A photoworthy little building in the kitchen courtyard of the Governor's Palace.

The family thinks cool thoughts while they wait patiently for Karen's return with another mug of Diet Coke.

Lunch in the air conditioned Nawab Cuisine restaurant in modern Williamsburg. We ate dinner here on our first night in town, and came back to enjoy their wonderful lunch buffet. Sorry it was blurry inside the restaurant.

My twin, Brandon Hewitt, and I. We met Brandon last year on a day when he was working as a re-enactor. At that time Karen noticed that our waistcoats had identical buttons, so she decided we must be twins. It was a pleasure to see him a couple times again this year.

The book bindery.

Another trip back to the Millinery.

Doris, a retired school teacher, was entertaining and educational as always as she sat strategically over an air conditioning vent.

Doris clued us in on a quilted clothing exhibit at the DeWitt Wallace Museum, where we found this image of Mr. Hutter the tailor modeling his fancy quilted jacket.

There were lots of beautiful quilted petticoats on display, but we'll only share this one. If you want to see the rest, you'll have to ask.

This quilt circa about 1600 was so stunning I had to include it also.

Back at the milliner's where we spotted the embroidery on this book holder mounted to the wall. For Diane's sake we asked about purchasing the embroidered bag we showed a couple days ago. One of the milliners told me everything in the shop is a reproduction and is available for sale. She said she would have to consult her records to see how much time and material she had in the embroidered bag, but she gave me her business card so we could negotiate further. I'll keep you informed as we learn more.

A photo for posterity of Doris, Janea, and Sarah the apprentice all busy on the same project, a woman's morning gown.

We finally had a David Baker spotting today! That's David on our left with the best of the Senior Corps making their way to the field behind the Courthouse for a military exhibition.

Another shot of the full Senior Corps after the exhibition and back on Duke of Gloucester Street. David is the lead musician of the Corps and as such is privileged to call out the next tune as they march along. None of the Corps knows which song will be called next, as it could be any of the 300+ tunes David has memorized.

A proud Cookie Baker with her son David. Not only does Mrs. Baker follow her sons to as many performances as she can manage, but she has been very kind and welcoming to our family and the Madeiras over the last year. We look forward to our next visit in hopes that it includes more time with the Baker family.

We closed our day with an evening concert at the Capitol featuring Wayne Moss on the viol de gamba and Michael Monaco on the harpsichord. We also spent a bit more time chatting with the Kelley family from Zionsville, Indiana. They are homeschoolers also, and kindred spirits in many ways. Thanks for visiting!

1 comment:

  1. how sweet of you to ask about the embroidered bag! it would be very interesting to know how much it would cost... just to see how very desperately i could *not* afford it;)

    what a treat these posts have been. thank you so much for taking the time and effort to put them all up. it was almost like being there♥