This is the way the deck looked before our work began.
The first phase involved dismantling a portion of the decking so we could address a water movement issue underneath. Like most of the rest of the house, the ground around the foundation under the deck sloped back toward the house, encouraging rain water to pool around the foundation and seep through the block basement walls on particularly rainy days. We've addressed the slope of the ground on the other sides of the house, but because of the difficult access, this area was saved for last.
We raked the pea gravel away from the foundation far enough to allow us to add a bit of dirt next to the foundation. Once the decking is removed, it's always interesting to see what the previous owners left under it. I found a few pieces of decking long enough to be useful somewhere, several snack food wrappers, and the real treasure: a disposable diaper, used of course.
A bit of clay dirt uncovered by the garage construction last fall proved helpful here in creating a ramp to direct water away from the house.
Finally the pea gravel was moved back in place, ready for our next rainfall, or the next washing of the deck.