Sunday, June 5, 2011

Corn in the backyard 2011, week 3

June 5


Height = 16 inches

Last week's growing degree days = 170

Historical average growing degree days = 121


Growing degree days since planting = 437

Historical average since planting = 368


The corn had a pretty good growth spurt this past week, probably due to the warm temperatures. By contrast, the 2009 crop was planted about the same time, and only managed 5 inches of growth in the same week, but only had 109 growing degree days to help it along. It will be exciting to see how this year's crop progresses in the weeks ahead! Stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. So, what is the definition of a growing degree day? What is an ideal growing day for corn?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeremy -- a growing degree day as I'm using the term is calculated by subtracting 50 degrees F from the mean daily temperature. So if the mean temperature in our yard is 60F, the plants in our yard have experienced 10 growing degree days that day. They are similar to heating degree days in that they attempt to quantify the cumulative heat in air over 24 hours. Keeping a tally of growing degree days since planting can be helpful in estimating how mature a plant is, and can help establish how quickly flowers and fruits develop.

    I use 50 degrees F as a baseline temperature for corn since I found that number cited by several sources. It seems 50F is a decent baseline for quite a few plants, although some tropical plants require a higher baseline, and other more-hardy plants correlate better to a lower baseline. Some sources say many plants don't get any extra growing benefit from temperatures over 80F, but I think the corn around here prefers much higher temperatures. In my opinion, ideal corn growing weather is 95F with 90% humidity, which seems to describe every day in which I have outdoor work planned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. >>>In my opinion, ideal corn growing weather is 95F with 90% humidity, which seems to describe every day in which I have outdoor work planned.<<<

    ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your farmer pays you for keeping such good data on his plants. :)

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Victoria -- if I were paid for all the trivial little things I do I could probably buy half of this county!

    ReplyDelete