Sunday, July 19, 2009

Paint!

God has blessed us with some relatively dry weather recently, so we broke out the paint and attacked the barn. Unfortunately the "one-coat" paint we purchased is going to require more than one coat, but at least we're not paying someone by the hour to apply it. All the girls sprung into action Saturday morning, and we made good progress, but we still have plenty of painting before we can call this one finished.

Since we have so many high surfaces we are doing a lot of the painting from ladders, which is slow and requires moving heavy ladders frequently. It didn't take too many minutes of painting before we came to a few solid conclusions: (1) pre-painted siding looks like a very attractive option; (2) the next time we build a barn we will paint the siding before it's attached; and (3) building a structure with all the painted surfaces accessible while standing on the ground is a very sensible thing to do.

Here's Karen attacking the north side with vigor. The paint is pink when wet, and dries to a "Brite Red" shade that is appropriately named. Kind of makes me wonder why barns were traditionally painted red: so cattle could find their way home in a snowstorm? Nonetheless, our barn will soon be the brightest red barn in the neighborhood in case you're trying to find our place -- like from an airplane, or the space shuttle, or something.... Thanks for visiting!

5 comments:

  1. I wondered what that bright red spot on the horizon was! ;o) ;o) ;o)

    Your barn is very pretty! I can't wait to see it in person!

    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. >>>Nonetheless, our barn will soon be the brightest red barn in the neighborhood in case you're trying to find our place -- like from an airplane, or the space shuttle, or something.... <<<

    I'm surprised that you didn't go with yellow and green paint so that your barn will blend in with your privacy fence. ; -)

    PS I hope that your family's painting will continue to go smoothly and safely. I hate ladders with a passion, but let me know if you're needing help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love red barns... so I thoroughly approve of your color choice.

    Bet that's a load off your mind eh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our home has all wood siding that needs to be painted every five years or so. I feel your paint.:)

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather: I used to think we needed a pole light in the yard, but now that we've painted the barn the whole neighborhood glows all night! Thanks for the compliment.

    Jeremy: I try to avoid the yellow and green combination lest some of our friends think I'm fond of those tractors from the Quad Cities. Thanks for the offer.

    Diane: Thanks for letting us rest easy in your approval.

    Victoria: Do you mean the "Lifetime Guarantee" on the paint can doesn't mean I'll never have to repaint for the rest of my life?

    ReplyDelete